J. Mike Howington,
email: email@example.com (214) 293-6084
I/T Systems Consultant/Contractor Resume
Aspiration: To lead my employer’s staff and clients through complete solutions to their needs and issues
· Resolved many diverse IT applications and business requirements for 35+ years
· Managed and led projects, designed and modeled applications, databases and data warehouses
· Installed accounting packages, trained pkg users, gave on-site support and coded acct/fin reports
· Extensive activity and leadership in community services and volunteer organizations
Summary of Experience and Skills:
· Delivered optimum I/T solutions because experiences span mainframe, mini, micro and PC client-server systems in both on-line and batch modes with multiple TP/DBMS, operating systems and platforms. Fulfilled I/T applications needs from experiences within management, project leadership, application architecture, database administration, data modeling, enterprise data warehouse ETL, structured development life-cycle components in all phases, including object-oriented architecture design on applicable platforms.
· Brought clarity and comprehensiveness to business requirements and designs while industry experience spanned insurance policy and claims administration, health care provider, medical case bills and treatment codes, Medicare and Medicaid processing, rail road transportation, banking securities, oil and gas, utilities, marketing, electronics, purchasing, manufacturing, inventory, production scheduling, actual costing, bill of materials, bill of laden, distribution, accounting, tax reporting, financials, personnel, real estate appraisal, abstract closing, education, motel, banking, credit, security and military applications.
· Professionalized an internal medicine doctor’s clinic as the Business Manager then Clinic Office Manager handling staffing, credentialing, contracts, leases, employee payroll and benefits, accounting, and supervision of office staff.
· Providing leadership within the Community Emergency Response Team (C.E.R.T.) and Fire Corp (Fire and Rescue Volunteer Support) as a FEMA Certified CERT Instructor and Vice President of the Board of Directors in the city’s overseeing corporation: RCCC (Rowlett Community Core Council); Taught courses to adult volunteers; developed and taught a course for aspirant instructors.
· Serving the community as an Ordained Independent Minister of the of the Church of New Life, teaching adult Bible Studies. Also administered weddings, funerals, baptisms, family and individual therapy or marriage counseling, and serving as the Chaplain in community service organizations.
· Founded Toastmaster's (public speaking) clubs; been a Boy Scout troop leader; co-founder of a telephone crisis counseling center; church youth minister, and judging High School UIL debate.
· Brought superior communication skills honed from having written and produced stage plays, published poems, directed and performed on stage, frequently teaching adult classes, and writing “Daily Bread” email short messages, three times a week, to bring God’s Word to subscribers
Doctor of Divinity, Church of the New Life, 2005
M.B.A. Management, Amber University, 1985
M.S. Computer Systems Applications, American University (completed academic studies 1978, but relocated prior to comprehensive exams)
B.S. Technology of Management, American University, 1975
J. Mike Howington, CDP, PhD
Professional Career Experiences
10/2010 - 02/2013 Family Medicine Clinic
Clinic Office Manager of a solo-practice family medicine clinic. Exercised direct supervision over professional nursing staff, medical records staff, reception and scheduling staff and billing/claims staff while personally handling all correspondences, legal matters, supplies, book-keeping, licensing, accreditation, training and CME, customer service, banking and payroll. Selected, installed and converted data into a new compliant Practice Management cloud-based software system. Wrote a computer database application that backed up all patient demographic and billing data housed in the online system. Wrote a computer application to replace the manual punch card time clock that reported bi-weekly payroll hours. This time clock was quickly implemented in Visual Basic and then redesigned as an OO application project with use cases and UML models and rewritten in Java.
02/2010 – 10/2010: Walmart Super Center Accountant
Part time accounting office associate reconciliation, loss and shortage research, cash balance and cash register distribution, banking, and sales and income reporting.
5/2009 – 04/2011: Webmaster and Data Management Coordinator
Design and coded internet web pages and customized features for web pages including interactive forms, links to other sites, pop-down menus, pop-up maps, databases and queries using HTML, XML, PhP and MySQL coding.
1/2006 – 6/2009: Blue Cross Blue Shield
For the Oklahoma Merger Consolidation/Conversion project: extracted and reformatted data from the Teradata Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW). Wrote crosswalks and interfaces to other systems. Also loaned to other projects to code and implement data model modifications and new Dimensional Data Models. Also loaned to other projects to code and implement data warehouse extracts, updates, loads, COGNOS reports and other deliverables from the EIM department.
Tools: TERADATA, SQL, BTEQ, FASTXPORT, DATASTAGE, DB2, VSAM utilities, MAINFRAME JCL and utilities, UNIX scripts
11/2003 – 12/2008: Family Medicine Clinic
Business Manager for the internal medicine doctor’s clinic. Replaced the office manager, replaced the credit card processing system, replaced the banking facility, completed all re-verification processes for all insurance carriers, streamlined the billing statement processing and implemented an employee cross-training program. Advising the proprietor on all business matters including staffing, contracts, leases, employee benefits, employee evaluations
and salary adjustments. Responsibilities also include ongoing monitoring of office productivity and accounting auditing.
1/1998-12/2005: Assurant Employee Benefits, formerly known as Fortis Benefits
Because of extensive diversity of knowledge and skills a one-year project with this client was renewed each year to stretched into an eight-year contract. Beginning with services for Y2k assignments led into several other projects and developments. Project Lead, Architect, Technical Lead and Team Supervisor for the several projects especially related to converting six mainframe systems to a client-server ORACLE based database system. Frequently loaned to various projects or departments such as the Data Warehouse, CICS, and Hub Communications, to provide input for design, and occasionally coding, of technical solutions. Provided detailed design and specifications used by teams of offshore developers. Supervised and controlled several teams developing different interfaces in various phases of the projects. Provided technical assistance, code review,
J. Mike Howington,
Professional Career Experiences, cont.
mentoring, coaching and training on all development tools and methods. Coded stored procedures and database
triggers then taught client personnel how to develop the same. Became a member of the clients’ Triggers SWAT team with the responsibility for the review and/or design of any interfaces needing access or control of the ORACLE data. Also reviewed and approved vendor software products and updates.
Provided technical assistance and did code reviews for a project to do GUI for an interface between ACCESS and DB2 Connect (using ODBC to link the tables) to manipulate data in accounting tables. Analysis of entity relationship diagrams and databases to map and clean data from IMS and DB2. Designed, specified and led the team to build a LOTUSNOTES application including several documents, response documents, multiple security levels with client server and intranet access for tracking technical projects.
Worked as a point man on several major business units across many platforms to assess Y2k compliance and code corrections for the insurance corporation and many of its companies. Duties included: completing compliance planning documentation packets, detailed Y2k impact analysis and documentation, detailed renovation design and documentation, code renovation, test case data capture, conversion and transportation for multiple tier testing within multiple LPARs, extensive MVS/DFSMS, ABARS and LMS processes, documentation of walk-throughs and test comparisons, installations, and warranty period supports. Gave process presentations for kick off meetings and gave several training sessions. As a programming point, supervised as well as personally participated in all the processes for various sized teams consisting of anywhere from 1 (myself) up to 7 people.
Tools: ORACLE, SQL-PLUS, ORACLE URL_HTTP utility, SYBASE, DB2, IMS, ACCESS with ODBC links, DATASTAGE, IBM MQSeries, JAVA, C++, VISUAL BASIC, WORD/VBA, Excel macros, POWERBUILDER, LOTUSNOTES applications, HTML and XML, Micro Focus COBOL, PRO-C, CICS, VSAM, MAINFRAME JCL and utilities, EXCEED, CA7, UNIX scripts, AUTOSYS and COBOL(-II and /MVS(370), ASSEMBLER, EASYTRIEVE, FOCUS, FORTRAN, C, PASCAL, WP Macros, Lotus Macros, IMS/DC, SAS, ORACLE, FOXPRO, PARADOX, CLIPPER, FILEAID,
SUPERC, COMPAREX, EDGE, ENDEVOR
Note: in addition, Mr. Howington conducted telephone technical interviews for several contracting firms to evaluate the complete technical background of the candidate, in both mainframe applications and PC environments. These interviews also functioned to keep skills current with the tools of past experiences (see the complete 11-page resume covering 30+ years).
Beyond these 10 years, the rest of Dr. Howington’s long career involved the following clients:
Sprint Invoice Processing, Los Colinas
Mobile Exploration and Production, US
IBM Marketing Services Support
Lennox International for IBM
Mobil Oil Corporation
Texas Electric Support Company
Dallas County Community Colleges District
Coopers and Lybrand, Inc.
J. C. Penney Co.
Harris Data Communications Inc.
Dallas Power & Light Co.
Moore Business Forms
American Motors Corporation
Fidelity Investments, Los Colinas
Burlington Northern Rail Road, Ft. Worth
Texas Instruments Inc., Plano
Van Zandt County Title Abstract Company
Alba-Golden Independent School District
Darby's Dept. Store & Grand Saline Chamber of Commerce
Ivy Marketing Group
AIM America, Inc.
Interstate Wire Co.
The Drawing Board Inc.
Augren Computing Company
Dr. Pepper Inc.
Cutler-Williams Inc., Corporate Management
Planning Research Corporation
And the U.S. Air Force (1969-1975)
J. Mike Howington, CDP, PhD
Technical Summary List
Over thirty-five years of diverse applications development and consulting experience:
Hardware Manufacturers Summary:
IBM mainframes, UNIX mainframes, HP/UX, DEC VAXs and PDP-x, HONEYWELL 66xx, 635, DN355, Level 6, BURROUGHS: 4700, 3500, 263. Many micros and PCs, Ats, etc.
Software Languages Summary:
COBOL, PLI, PLAS, REXX, C, C++, VISUAL BASIC, LOTUSNOTES, JAVA, Php, SQL, PL-SQL, SQL*PLUS, MySQL, PLS, CQS, FORTRAN, EXEC, IEF, APL, RPG-II, DIBOL, DBL, BASIC, FOCUS, EASYTRIEVE, MARKIV, DYL260/280, SAS, NATURAL, DATAVANTAGE, and some exposure to others. Assembler for IBM (ALC and BAL), HONEYWELL (GMAP and DN355MAP), DEC (PDP-PAL), Burroughs 263, and some micros.
Software Major Packages Summary:
IBM related: DOS, DOS/VSE, zOS, OS/MFT, /MVT, /VS1, /MVS, CSP, VM, CMS, HASP, POWER, JES2, JES3, TCP/IP, CA7, VSAM, QMF, SPUFI, PROEDIT, SQL, VSPC, TSO, ISPF, BMS, SDF2, MFS, CICS, IMS/DC, DATASTAGE, MQSERIES, PANVELET, LIBRARIAN, ENDEVOR, WYLBUR, MENTEXT, ROSCOE, COMPLETE and others.
UNIX, LENIX, EXCEED, AUTOSYS and many Honeywell, Burroughs and DEC operating systems/major packages.
Microcomputer and PC Vendor packages: SMART, dBASE, PERFECT FILER, RBASE, PARADOX, FOXPRO, ACCESS, Revelation, DOS, OS/2, TurboDOS, TRSDOS, XENIX, WINDOWS, IBM-LAN, NOVELL, LANTASTIC, BANYAN-VINES, CP/M, MP/M, WORD, WORDSTAR, WORD PERFECT, MULTIMATE, PERFECT WRITER, DISPLAY WRITE, SPELLBINDER, DW4, LOTUS NOTES, SPF/PC, LOTUS, EXCEL, VISIO, POWERPOINT, PERFECT CALC, PROJECT WORKBENCH, M.S. PROJECT, DATASTAGE, etc.
Database packages: ORACLE, SYBASE, ACCESS, DB2, DLI, IMS, DLI, TERADATA, ADABAS, FOCUS IDMS, TOTAL, IDS, DM-IV, DBMS, and microcomputer packages listed above